The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1) by Danielle L. Jensen
All she had ever known was violence. It was nothing to her. And everything.
I heard so much about this book for years before I picked up a copy (not because I wasn’t interested, but because I’m slow and my TBR is insane). And I’m so glad I finally dove in because OH MY GOSH! Everything about this is just YES!
The whole cast of main characters were likeable and believable and even when they were frustrating, I understood why and supported both sides. Lara and Aren make sense, Ahnna and Jor make sense. All the soldiers, all the islanders and townsfolk. I loved all the focus on the dynamic between the nations/kingdoms. The setting was seriously cool and I want to learn more about Ithicana in the next book! Overall, TBK was very well written and thought-out without ever being boring or convoluted. The book moved along at a cracking pace and I loved seeing Lara and Aren’s relationship develop. I’m so, so excited for book two! Especially after that ending!
She would fight for him.
She would bleed for him.
She would die for him.
SO MANY SNAKES!
Thoughts as I read [SPOILERS]:
– I was not expecting the opening to be that bloody, what the heck.
– Liking Lara so far. Her father is actually so awful.
– Aren and Ahnna seem pretty cool so far!
– Pleasantly surprised by so much of this! Lara is likeable, Aren is likeable, the soldiers are likeable. The only one I haven’t liked so far is the grandmother. She’s just so mean? I mean, she obviously has reasons to be, but it seems like she goes out of her way to be unpleasant.
– The chemistry between Lara and Aren is very good: THEY DID THE THING! THE THING WHERE SHE’S LIKE ‘LOOK HOW PRETTY’ AND LOOKING AHEAD AND HE’S LIKE ‘YES, BEAUTIFUL’ AND HE’S LOOKING AT HER. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH.
– The layout of The Bridge and Ithicana’s layout is very cool. A kingdom on the bridge between two kingdoms, each one trying to control the seas and trade. It’s honestly such a cool premise?? And like I haven’t seen it before, I don’t think.
– Love Lara/Aren by the end oh my goshhhhhh \o/