1. Paperback, hardback, audiobook?
All of them and eBooks, too.
2. Pick a genre, any genre!
All of them. If I am only allowed one – nonfiction.
3. What is the first book you remember reading?
It will be a famous five book – either that, or Freaky Friday by Mary Rodgers.
4. What book shaped your childhood most?
My grandparents gave me a dictionary when I was 7; I loved looking up words and their meanings, I still do!
5. When did you first start writing?
I was 11 in my first year of secondary school, the first time I was really taught creative writing.
6. What made you want to write? Does it still hold true?
I was a kid, it wasn’t a conscious decision, it still isn’t, it’s just part of me.
7. What book/poem are you most proud of creating?
My first book: My Father’s Daughter.
8. Did you publish your first book or is it for your eyes only?
I published it, it changed its name and some of its contents along the way but it is in essence the same book.
9. How many books/collections have you published so far?
2 poetry collections. My Father’s Daughter and A Taste of What’s to come.
10. What genres do you write in (or hope to)?
I write poetry. I am working on a short story collection. I hope to write a nonfiction book and maybe a novel at some point. In fiction terms I am not sure I have a specific genre, I just write.
11. Do you do research for your writing or is it all in your head?
Sometimes a little google is required.
12. To plan, or not to plan your plot?
I didn’t plan my novel, then it became obvious I had to, it’s still unfinished, the plotting helped but there’s a lot of writing left to do and I am not sure if I will ever finish it. I don’t plot with short stories.
13. What route of publishing have you chosen? Do you plan to stick with it?
I am self-published till I die.
14. If you could live inside another author’s universe, which one would you pick? (Ex: Middle Earth, Narnia, etc.)
Darkacre in the Haven Chronicles series by Fi Phillips. Haven Wakes is one of my favourite books.
15. Do you currently have a WIP?
I am working on a short story collection at the moment.
16. Tell me about the character you’ve created who is dearest to your heart.
Jack from The Things We Do – the unfinished novel, if I don’t finish the novel, he needs a home.
17. What do you consider your *current* magnum opus?
Poetically ‘Unique’ and fictionally ‘Bridge Echoes’ both published in Makarelle Anthology One having been previously published in Makarelle magazine.
I do consider some of my Instagram and Blog Poetry good, too.
18. Do you have a favourite romance in your books? Or, if yours features no romance, tell us about your favourite character friendship!
Alex and Jo in Cooked to Perfection, one of my short stories in my upcoming collection. I like the dance, there is no pretence, just two people liking each other romantically and wondering if it’s reciprocated.
19. Do you listen to music as you write? Recommend a favourite writing song.
I write in silence.
I have a short playlist of 3 instrumental tracks by the Piano Guys Titanium/Pavane, Moonlight, and Fight Song/Amazing Grace which I use sometimes to edit/format. I have listened to 10 minutes of music as inspiration a couple of times. It has to be instrumental for it to work and it helps to have no aim in mind. I did use a playlist once and I was able to write. I might try that again, I like to switch things up.
20. If you could give one piece of advice to an aspiring author, what would it be?
Keep writing – the more you use a muscle the better it develops; writing is no different.
21. Have you entered any writer contests? Tell us about your experience!
Tried a couple, got nowhere, not surprised, there are some excellent writers out there.
I have accepted a challenge for 2022 to enter contests/submit pieces. The number I am aiming for is 100. I don’t expect much success, it’s more about discipline and honing my skills.
22. Who are your top 5-10 favourite writers?
All indies, in no particular order:
Dreena Collins/Jane Harvey
24. Link us your book/twitter/goodreads or wherever we can best connect with you!