- Paperback, hardback, audiobook?
- Pick a genre, any genre!
- What is the first book you remember reading?
I think it might have been Bridge to Terabithia.
- What book shaped your childhood most?
I wasn’t much of a reader as a child, but I was definitely a bit obsessed with The Spiderwick Chronicles for a time and I used to play in my backyard and pretend there was a hidden world of faeries living there.
- When did you first start writing?
I think I was about eleven and I had just finished watching Avatar: The Last Airbender, but I wasn’t ready for it to be over so I decided to write my own sequel instead.
- What made you want to write? Does it still hold true?
I just really love creating stories and all of the characters and fantastical worlds to go along with it and that’s always been what keeps me going.
- What book/poem are you most proud of creating?
So far it’s Amulet of Wishes.
- Did you publish your first book or is it for your eyes only?
I published it.
- How many books/collections have you published so far?
Amulet of Wishes is my first and, so far, my only published work.
- What genres do you write in (or hope to)?
At the moment I write fantasy, but I’d also like to try my hand at sci-fi, steampunk and horror one day.
- Do you do research for your writing or is it all in your head?
For my Chronicles of the Guardians series, a lot of the world-building and such are just products of my imagination, but there are some things I might need to do research on, such as different types of weaponry and things to do with the Victorian and Regency eras.
- To plan, or not to plan your plot?
- What route of publishing have you chosen? Do you plan to stick with it?
I chose to go with self-publishing and I’m so glad I did. I am open to giving traditional publishing another go one day, though.
- If you could live inside another author’s universe, which one would you pick? (Ex: Middle Earth, Narnia, etc.)
I’d really love to live in Red London in V.E. Schwab’s Shades of Magic trilogy.
- Do you currently have a WIP?
Yes! Right now I’m editing Lady Night, which is the second book in Chronicles of the Guardians and drafting Darus’s Story, which is a short story about one of the main characters.
- Tell me about the character you’ve created who is dearest to your heart.
This is always such a tough question, because they’re all so dear to me. But I guess, I’ll pick Derek since he’s my main protagonist so I think that makes him just a bit extra special.
- What do you consider your current magnum opus?
Amulet of Wishes.
- Do you have a favourite romance in your books? Or, if yours features no romance, tell us about your favourite character friendship!
I do have a favourite romance, but just telling you about it would be a spoiler. As for friendships, I love the friendship between Derek, Jared and Arabelle. They’re all so dear to each other and each of them would one hundred percent turn someone into a past tense if it meant saving the others.
- Do you listen to music as you write? Recommend a favourite writing song.
I do, but only instrumental stuff, so mainly movie soundtracks and such. At the moment, my favourite music to listen to is the Dragon Age: Inquisition soundtrack.
- Do you have any character art for your books, whether by you or another artist? (Be sure to credit/link if you can!)
I sure do! I draw a lot of my own character art and you can find most of it through my instagram account.
- If you could give one piece of advice to an aspiring author, what would it be?
Write what you want to write because you can’t expect readers to be passionate about your work if you aren’t.
- Have you entered any writer contests? Tell us about your experience!
No, I’m not confident enough to put myself out there like that.
- Who are your top 5-10 favourite writers?
C.S. Pacat, V.E. Schwab, Melina Marchetta, Victoria Lee, Natasha Ngan.
- Link us your book/twitter/goodreads or wherever we can best connect with you!
I’m most active on Twitter.