Be sure to check out my book review of Sarah Bell’s The Murder Next Door!
1. Paperback, hardback, audiobook?
2. Pick a genre, any genre!
3. What is the first book you remember reading?
The Tiger Who Came to Tea.
4. What book shaped your childhood most?
(I’m skipping this one, as the honest answer involves a certain book series written by a certain TERF.)
5. When did you first start writing?
Primary school. I can’t imagine it was any good, so pity my poor family who had to read it.
6. What made you want to write? Does it still hold true?
I just love stories and wanted to create & share my own. Definitely still true!
7. What book/poem are you most proud of creating?
The Murder Next Door, as its the first project I’ve seen to completion & published.
8. Did you publish your first book or is it for your eyes only?
I have a lot of half-written projects and first drafts (and they’re definitely for my eyes only!) The Murder Next Door was the first one to ever become even remotely close to an actual book.
9. How many books/collections have you published so far?
Just the one.
10. What genres do you write in (or hope to)?
11. Do you do research for your writing or is it all in your head?
Research! The joys of historical fiction 🙃 I’ve gone down many a research rabbit hole…
12. To plan, or not to plan your plot?
I always plan. The characters always throw the plan out the window.
13. What route of publishing have you chosen? Do you plan to stick with it?
Self-publishing. And I think so for now, but never say never and all that…
14. If you could live inside another author’s universe, which one would you pick? (Ex: Middle Earth, Narnia, etc.)
Hmmm…good question. Unfortunately, the downside of reading lots of histfic and history-inspired fantasy is that I most certainly do not want to live in any of those universes.
15. Do you currently have a WIP?
My current WIP is a sequel to The Murder Next Door, tentively titled Deeds & Words, and is about my two MCs solving a murder against a backdrop of the 1913 Suffragette bombing campaign.
16. Tell me about the character you’ve created who is dearest to your heart.
Probably Louisa. I loved getting to write an ace character. Also, she’s sarcastic, socially awkward and trying her best but not always succeeding. (She’s different from me in many ways, but those are traits we definetely share 😂)
17. What do you consider your *current* magnum opus?
Actually writing & publishing a book!
18. Do you have a favourite romance in your books? Or, if yours features no romance, tell us about your favourite character friendship!
It’s got to be Louisa & Ada. I wanted to write about two very different people in love (your classic Opposites Attract…) and how they navigate that.
19. Do you listen to music as you write? Recommend a favourite writing song.
I’m a no-music when writing kinda person.
20. Do you have any character art for your books, whether by you or another artist? (Be sure to credit/link if you can!)
Not unless picrews count 😂
21. If you could give one piece of advice to an aspiring author, what would it be?
First drafts don’t have to be perfect. I think a lot of aspiring authors (past me included) have this notion that it has to be perfect immediately or you’re wasting your time, and it’s just not true. Editing is the magic ingredient.
22. Have you entered any writer contests? Tell us about your experience!
Not really? At least, not that I can remember. Unless winning my day job’s Flash Fiction contest counts? 😂
23. Who are your top 5-10 favourite writers?
*Immediately forgets every author who has ever existed*
24. Link us your book/twitter/goodreads or wherever we can best connect with you!
And also Twitter, Instagram & TikTok all as @SarahBellWrites